Home >> Section >> Jack's Blog

Jack's Blog

Posted by Spokesbloggette on September 18, 2009
Two of every three practicing physicians oppose the medical overhaul plan under consideration in Washington, and hundreds of thousands would think about shutting down their practices or retiring early if it were adopted, a new IBD/TIPP Poll has found.
  • Two-thirds, or 65%, of doctors say they oppose the proposed government expansion plan. This contradicts the administration's claims that doctors are part of an "unprecedented coalition" supporting a medical overhaul.
  • Four of nine doctors, or 45%, said they "would consider leaving their practice or taking an early retirement" if Congress passes the plan the Democratic majority and White House have in mind.
To read the entire article, click here.
Posted by Press Staff on September 17, 2009
In case you missed it, Jack was on Fox Business Network's Cavuto last night discussing his ongoing efforts to bring more transparency and accountability to President Obama's unprecedented use of czars.  For more information, visit http://kingston.house.gov/czar
Posted by Spokesbloggette on September 16, 2009
CBS News just posted the article below. The Obama administration has privately concluded that a cap and trade law would cost American taxpayers up to $200 billion a year, the equivalent of hiking personal income taxes by about 15 percent. A previously unreleased analysis prepared by the U.S. Department of Treasury says the total in new taxes would be between $100 billion to $200 billion a year. At the upper end of the administration's estimate, the cost per American household would be an extra $1,761 a year.  To read the rest of the article, click here.
Posted by Press Staff on September 16, 2009

 

Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1) will appear on Fox Business Channel’s Cavuto on Business tonight at 6:30 to discuss his ongoing efforts to bring accountability and transparency to President Obama’s czars. Congressman Kingston has been a leading voice in this effort and later today will lead a press conference of House Republicans in a call to action. For more information, click here or check your local listings.
Posted by Spokesbloggette on September 11, 2009
Democrats have repeatedly pledged H.R. 3200 will expand insurance options and preserve Americans’ ability to keep the insurance they have and like.  However, the language in H.R. 3200 doesn’t support this empty rhetoric.
  • Today, 11 million seniors, or 22% of all Medicare beneficiaries, are enrolled in a Medicare health plan, called Medicare Advantage.  Under current law, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) predicts that 14 million seniors would choose to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan by 2019.
  • Because of the Medicare cuts contained in Section 1161 of H.R. 3200, CBO estimates that only 8 million seniors would be enrolled in these plans in 2019.  This means that:
    • 3 million seniors who are currently enrolled in Medicare Advantage (MA) plans will be forced out of that plan due to the policies in H.R. 3200 that will rob them of choice or make their MA plan too costly to afford, forcing them back into the one-size fits all government-run program.
    • An additional 3 million seniors, whom CBO predicts would otherwise enroll in Medicare Advantage, will not enroll because they will no longer have access to an affordable plan.
    • A total of 6 million seniors will be denied access to an affordable Medicare Advantage plan because of H.R. 3200.
  • H.R. 3200 violates the Democrats' and President Obama’s oft-repeated pledge that if you like what you have you can keep it and penalizes seniors in order to pay for a massive government health care expansion.
  • Currently, all seniors have access to at least one Medicare Advantage plan.  However, according to the independent Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) the Democrats’ plan will result in 1 in 5 seniors no longer having access to any Medicare Advantage plans.  Their choice will be taken away. 
  • Furthermore, MedPAC predicts that the value of additional benefits that seniors receive through Medicare Advantage will be slashed by $252 per year.  These additional benefits include protections against high out-of-pocket costs, vision and dental coverage, and free preventive care and cancer screenings.
  • Seniors living in rural areas will be disproportionately harmed by H.R. 3200.  These seniors will be more likely to see significant premium increases, greater reductions in benefits, and are the most at risk for having no access to Medicare Advantage plans.
H.R. 3200’s cuts to Medicare will force seniors out of the plans they like, rob many seniors of the option of choosing Medicare Advantage, and substantially reduce the benefits offered by these plans while increasing seniors’ health care costs.   Source: Republican Committee on Ways and Means
Posted by Jack on September 08, 2009
In case you missed it, Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1) appeared on MSNBC today to react to the President's speech to the nation's school children and to discuss health care.
Posted by Press Staff on September 08, 2009
Congressman asks, “if it’s good enough for them, why wasn’t it good enough for him?” Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1) today called on President Obama to explain why he intends to deny nearly 2,000 Washington, D.C. students the school choice enjoyed by the President during his academic career. “It’s always a challenge for a private school elitist to address public school children,” Congressman Kingston said.  “From his days at a private school in Hawaii until he graduated from Harvard Law, President Obama not once attended an American public school.  Now that he’s shown an interest in education, perhaps he’ll specifically talk to the 1,800 kids whose school choice he’s taken away.  If it’s good enough for them, why wasn’t it good enough for him?” In 2004, Congress passed with bipartisan support the D.C. School Choice Incentive Act which provides the District’s low-income student with an opportunity to have more education choices.  Thus far the Washington Opportunity Scholars Program (OSP) has served 3,002 students with 3,738 scholarships being awarded out of more than 7,700 applications. Despite overwhelming demand and widespread community support, President Obama and congressional Democrats have sought to end the program through slowly removing funding and only allowing those currently in program to receive scholarships in the future.
Posted by Spokesblogger on September 08, 2009
Democrats are attacking conservatives who've expressed concerns about the President's speech today to the nation's school children.  While they're crying foul now, Democrats not only publicly decried the speech but demanded the Government Accountability Office conduct an investigation and later called top Administration officials to a lengthy hearing on the issue.  Some other examples:
  • The Washington Post reported that day that, “The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props.”
  • Then-Majority Leader Dick Gephardt said, “The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertisements for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students and the president should be doing more about education than saying, ‘lights, camera, action.’”
  • Then-Education Committee Chairman William Ford called in then-Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander to a hearing saying, “As the Chairman of the Committee charged with authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event.”
  • Rep. Martin Frost (D-Tex.) said that if Bush feels obliged to use government funds to hire outside consultants “to make him look good,” then he should fire some of the public relations experts on the White House payroll. “Then the president might be more sympathetic to unemployment benefits,” Frost said, referring to Bush’s threat to veto legislation to extend benefits.
  • Despite the GAO’s investigation determining the speech to be legal, Democratic allies swooped in with the National Education Association saying it, “cannot endorse a president who spends $26,000 of taxpayers’ money on a staged media event.”
Posted by Press Staff on September 08, 2009
In case you missed it, Jack appeared today on MSNBC's Morning Meeting with Dylan Ratigan to discuss President Obama's unprecedented use of czars to implement his policies.  Earlier this year, Jack introduced HR 3226 which would withhold funding from any czar not confirmed by the U.S. Senate. For more information on Jack's efforts to increase transparency and accountability on the czars, visit http://kingston.house.gov/czar
Posted by Press Staff on September 07, 2009
In case you missed it, Jack appeared on Fox News' Your World with Neil Cavuto this afternoon to discuss the resignation of Van Jones, President Obama's scandal-plagued Green Jobs Czar, as well as Jack's ongoing efforts to increase transparency and accountability in the President's unprecedented reliance on czars to advance his policies.  Earlier this year, Jack introduced HR 3226 which would withhold funding from any czar who has not been confirmed by the U.S. Senate in accordance with Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution.  To watch the clip, click below: For more information on Jack's efforts, visit http://kingston.house.gov/czar